Last updated September 22, 2022
50,038 total views, 2 views today
On June 8, 2006 a videogame trailer showing footage of a new Tomb Raider game was published at planetlara.com. The title of the trailer claimed that the game title was Tomb Raider: 10th Anniversary Edition, a game by Core Design for PSP. The trailer showcased remastered environments from the original, 1996th Tomb Raider game, with new animations and interactions. The video was then taken down but re-emerged again in the next few months. Tomb of Ash dedicated many years collating the information on this cancelled game that you can now browse on this page.
On December 31st 2020 we uploaded an early build and assets from Tomb Raider: 10th Anniversary Edition on archive.org. We’re currently working with a number of dedicated Tomb Raider fans to restore Tomb Raider: 10th Anniversary Edition to a playable state.
We’re looking for programmers who could help us restore Tomb Raider: 10th Anniversary Edition. We particularly need help with C++ and/or Maya C++ Api. We also need people familiar with old Maya (5.0 /6.0/ 7.0). If you are able to help us please get in touch.
1 Download setup TRAE ##.exe and install the game. This will install all the patches as well.
2 You can then launch the game via run.bat (the game is installed on C drive in artbase folder) or via a shortcut on your desktop
Advanced method (for those on metered connections or for those who don’t wish to redownload installer each time a new version is published):
1. Extract Artbase.zip from https://archive.org/download/IndyTRAEbuild/ to c:/ drive.
2. Extract ArtbaseLara.zip to c:/ drive.
3. Place PC binaries (coregame.exe, glut32.dll and run.bat) under C:/Artbase/tombraider
4. Extract artbase_patch.zip into C:/ drive overwriting all the files.
5. Launch run.bat
1. Download “TRAE-psp-v2.iso.iso” from https://archive.org/download/IndyTRAEbuild/.
2. Extract the .ISO fully to a folder of your choice.
3. Place EBOOT.BIN in PSP_GAME/SYSDIR overwriting the old one (where you extracted the ISO).
4. Build an ISO using UMDGen for PSP. (Drag and drop root PSP_GAME and UMD_DATA.BIN to UMDGen window and save).
5. Run in PPSSPP.
-Added an optional installation file (setup TRAE ##.exe) for those that have difficulties installing the game and applying patches.
– Switched to SDL2 for input.
– Keyboard now fully supported in SDL2.
– Gamepads now fully supported in SDL2.
– Added a command line argument (-dinput) to use old input (Direct Input 8).
– Added sound effects for the PC version (requires new Artbase_patch.zip to be downloaded).
– OpenGL 3.2 Renderer now uses SDL2 for windowing instead of freeglut.
– OpenGL 1.x Renderer now uses SDL2 for windowing instead of freeglut.
– Updated Lara keyboard binds (to be more similar to the original game).
– Bloom is disabled by default for PC, can be enabled by pressing B on keyboard.
– Fixed a critical bug where Lara’s hair would sometimes not render when loading certain levels.
– Increased static batch renderer draw buffer to prevent crashes on levels like Lara’s Home.
– Fixed rare transparency bugs on Lara’s Home partially.
– Fixed a game breaking crash at the beginning of Tomb of Tihocan.
– Game memory increased on the PSP version by 7mb.
– Object pool increased on the PSP version by 1mb.
– The Xbox controller bug where buttons were swapped should now be fixed.
– Default renderer is now OpenGL 3.2 renderer, to use the old OpenGL 1.x renderer use the launch argument “-gl1”
– Pause menu now pops up when pressing return key.
– OpenGL 3.2 renderer now supports batching for static level geometry (faster rendering).
– DX11 renderer now supports batching for static level geometry (faster rendering).
– OpenGL 3.2 bloom has been updated to be more similar to PSP and may be tweaked in a further update
-Updated and enabled various internal net code features for future updates.
-OpenGL 1.x renderer has been replaced with a fresh OpenGL 3.2 renderer. (special thanks to xproger!)
-PC now supports bloom (still early and may be tweaked in future updates).
-Fixed a crash in winsock2 socket binding for net.
-Fixed a graphical error on PC where Lara’s hair strands weren’t visible.
-Enabled 60fps for PC and PSP.
-Allow resizing of window.
-Switch to more modern version of glut (now using freeglut).
-Added missing idle stance animation from PSP version.
-PSP audio for sound effects now play.
-Darts should now damage Lara.
-Jumping off high areas will kill Lara.
– Ragdoll added when Lara dies.
You must use either Xbox 360 or a PS4 controller. You must plug the controller in before launching the game. You can run this with keyboard but you will not be able to jump or do much.
Xbox 360 controller (partially supported, PS4 controller recommended)
Start+Select+Y+X – Fly mode on
Start+Select+y+a – fly mode off
Xbox One Controller (PSP version only:)
Dual Shock 4 (playstation 4 controller connected via USB, no apps required):
L2+R2+Δ+Ο enables fly mode
press L2+R2+square to disable it
L2+R2+Share buttons: activate freecam, R1 to place Lara, O to quit.
L1+L2+R1+R2+Options – Level Select Debug
Press F7 to enter editor mode. This will allow you to make permanent changes to the levels. To make changes permanent you need to make sure that all.game.logic file in the folder of the levels are not set to “read only”.Make sure to backup levels before doing this.
Press ~ to open ingame console:
HELP for list of commands
Simulatepsp – to zoom out the camera
Thanks to SmallMediPack, @reborninshadows and @core_design for help.
What files are these?
This is a cancelled Indiana Jones game by Core Design. It was a re-skin version of the cancelled Tomb Raider: 10th Anniversary Edition that Core Design was developing soon after TRAE was cancelled.
What are the two archives?
“Artbase” contains the main core of the assets – locations, character models, tools used for development, geometry etc. This is currently the most complete collection of assets. The “levels jan 2006” archive contains certain level files that have different timestamp from those in “artbase”. They could be exactly the same files, we currently don’t know but think it could be important to preserve all the versions for historical value.
What are the tools?
- Inside Artbase\tombraider\sources\globals you will find a converter by Nakamichi. This converter will allow you to convert level geometry from “globals” folder into .ma and .fbx formats and extract textures. It works from command line so just give it a name of the file you want to extract and it will create a subfolder with .fbx, .ma and textures. This could be useful for TRLE enthusiasts or artists. Please show us what you create!
- Artbase\tombraider\converters\animsequencerui will allow you to view character models located in Artbase\tombraider\sources\models\characters (you will need Visual Studio installed for it to work).
- Other tools in Artbase\tombraider\converters\ could be useful to understand how file formats work. Some of them are Maya converters which are obsolete. You will need old Maya 7.0 (this is the one that was used in production of these files) to make them work.
I get a missing DLL error (added 01.01.2020).
Make sure visual studio is installed: https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/
Hey I want to look into this but I’m not very technical, can you guide me?
No, please seek help elsewhere, we are not able to troubleshoot/guide everyone ???? We will not respond to any emails asking to help, we’re very sorry we just don’t have time. We published all the instructions and everyone is able to follow them. Please read them carefully.
Is this playable? Is this on Ps4? Can I play it on Xbox?
You can play it on Windows PC only using the patches that are included in the link above. We uploaded a PSP build too but it will only work either via emulators or a modded PSP.
This Blender Python script that should help clean up the room geometry a bit. You just select the Room Empties of the rooms you want it to clean up, run the script and it will join all objects in a room, then merge vertices by distance, delete loose geometry and finally separate disconnected meshes back into separate objects. Instructions are in the ReadMe.
All downloads are available on this Archive.org page.
Our sponsors on ko-fi made it possible to create a mirror for those who have issues downloading from archive.org.
Trailers and Videos
BLOG POSTS AND MEDIA
We would like to express our gratitude to Phil Chapman, Richard Morton, Peter Connelly and an anonymous contributor for all the incredible media they provided us!
I am raw html block.
Click edit bu tton to change this html